Feature Image Source: Guardian Australia
A kangaroo and joey are seen in a burnt forest on Kangaroo Island, south west of Adelaide. (Jo-Anne McArthur/Weanimals)
This Sunday 26th January is Australia Day and businesses all over London are taking the opportunity to help raise money for the ongoing bushfire crisis. Keep reading to find out how you can help.
As an expat far from home, it’s especially heartbreaking to watch the destruction unfold, feeling totally helpless on the other side of the world. Despite being lucky enough to have just spent a month back home in Australia, that same helpless feeling settled upon me the moment I left. After the horror of the past three months, I can safely say that the effect on our country has been monstrous.
I’m certain that I’m not the only one to break down after seeing footage of our beautiful animals suffering, losing over 1 billion thus far. Nor am I the only one to feel intense anger watching brave women and men fighting fires while the Australian government continue to pretend the climate crisis doesn’t exist.
That’s why it’s more important than ever to keep the conversation going. We need to keep supporting the communities long after the worldwide media coverage dries up. And there’s no better time to raise money and awareness than this weekend on Australia Day.
It has been absolutely amazing to see our wonderful Londoners coming together in spectacular form. Fundraisers are popping up left, right and centre to help Aussies out and it’s truly heartwarming to see. From organising fundraiser events and donating profits to collecting tip jar donations – every bit counts. And every cent raised is truly appreciated by those who need it most.
Here’s a list of London spots that are raising money for this worthy cause. Eat there, drink there, be merry there, help us raise money and keep the Climate Crisis conversation going.
Thank you for your continuing support.
Australia Day Events
- The Lounge Down Under: Benefit for Australia’s Wildlife @ Nightclub Kolis. Jan 24. Tube: Archway. Donations on the door, £10 suggested. 100% of all donations will go to Wires – protecting wildlife affected by the bushfire crisis.
- Australia Day comedy @ Bush Hall and donating proceeds from the night to Wildlife Victoria. £18, book ahead, 25 January. Shepherd’s Bush.
- Help a mate bushfire crisis fundraiser @ Pressure Drop Brewery Taproom. Proceeds from all sales will be split amongst several charities. Tube: Tottenham Hale. Jan 25. Free entry.
- Australia Day Relief and Celebration Dinner @ Timmy Green. All profits will be donated to the Country Fire Associations, Australian Red Cross and the Adelaide Hills Wine Region Fire Appeal. Tube: Victoria. Jan 25. £95.
- Australia Day Bushfire Fundraiser @ Off Piste are aiming to raise £10,000 for the Australian Red Cross. Tube: Canary Wharf. Jan 25. £10.
- Australia Day party and Bushfire Appeal fundraiser @ Rileys Haymarket are donating 20% of ticket sales plus raffles and other fundraisers on the night. £10, book ahead, 25 January. London SW1.
- Australia Day On Ice @ Skylight are donating 100% of funds raised from Ice Skating, as well as £1 per drink and some raffles to WIRES, RFS and CFA. Tobacco Dock. 26 January. Free entry.
- The Church Australia Day Fundraiser Party @ Inferno’s are donating 100% of door sales to the Australian Red Cross’s bushfire relief funds and Wires. Tube: Clapham Common. Jan 26. £15 standard entry.
- Australia Fires: 12 Hour Fundraiser @ The Two Brewers runs from 2pm to 2am. Tube: Clapham Common. Jan 26. £8 on the door.
- Aussie Day Celebration @ The Clapham Grand are aiming to raise £10,000 for Australian emergency services. Tube: Clapham Junction Overground. Sun Jan 26. £20.
London Restaurants Donating to Australian Bushfire Crisis
London.Eater have done a brilliant job of pulling together all the London restaurants raising money for Australia’s wildfire relief. And WOW are there a lot of ’em! Find a selection of restaurants below or check the London.Eater website for a more exhaustive list
- Australia Day Party and Bushfire Fundraiser @ Milk Beach will have Aussie food, cocktail and wine specials with £1 from every item sold to be donated to the Australian Red Cross. January 25. Free entry. London NW6.
- All-Dayer @ The Laughing Heart is donating all proceeds to First Nations of Australia and wildlife initiatives. 26 January, Yum Cha 2p.m. — 5p.m.; Drinks and party 4p.m.-11p.m. Hackney.
- Portland Fundraising Dinner @Portland are hosting a one-off dinner with Graft Wine Company. All proceeds will be going to Adelaide Hills wine recovery fund. 27 January. London W1W. £195 per head.
- Hawksmoor will be collecting voluntary donations in their restaurants for the NSW Rural Fire Service, and they’ll be matching all donations made. 26 January.
London Cafes Donating to Australian Bushfire Crisis
- Crosstown Doughnuts are donating 50p for every Tim Tam and Lamington doughnut sold for Australia Day to bushfire relief charity. Available 24-26 January.
- District Coffee Shop are donating 20p from the sale of each flat white plus all tips in January to NSW Rural Fire Service and to WIRES Wildlife Rescue. They’re also hosting an Australian Bushfire Quiz Night on 30 January. £20 per ticket. 6:30pm – late. London SW1.
- Ottolenghi are selling Lamingtons and Iced VoVos in all the Ottolenghi shops with 100% of sales going towards Australian Red Cross. January – February.
- Granger & Co are donating £1 from every hot cakes (their most popular dish) across all sites in January to several bushfire charities.
Know of any more events or fundraisers for bushfire relief? Share them in the comments below