It’s that time of year again in Europe – summer holidays!! One of the most popular (and one of my favourite) summer holiday spots is the gorgeous Greek island of Mykonos, found amongst the crystal clear waters of the Aegean Sea, nestled between some of the most beautiful islands in the world.
Mykonos is particularly alluring as a holiday spot as it ticks all the boxes – amazing beaches, bustling nightlife, plenty of bars and restaurants, endless activities, an airport makes it easy to get to and you can have almost any holiday you like in Mykonos – adventure, active, relaxing, romantic, family or party.
I’ve been lucky enough to visit this amazing part of the world twice, once on a party trip and the other on a romantic getaway and both times were incredible! As it’s coming up to peak season in the Cyclades, I thought now is the perfect time to pull together my list of top recommendations of places to eat, play, drink and stay in Mykonos.
- Niko’s Tavern – This popular restaurant is super central and the food is great. Service can be hit and miss but it’s worth a visit.
- Kiki’s Slightly out of the way, this hidden treasure is really popular amongst the locals. Get there early or be ready to queue.
- Hippie Fish – Gorgeous place for a meal on the sea. The service could be better but if you’re after an intimate dinner with a view, this is the place to go.
- Bellissimo – If you want to mix things up and stray from eating another Greek dish for dinner, this no-fuss Italian tavern is really cute with great service.
- Aperanto Galazio – Amazing location on Ornos beach where you can eat with your feet in the sand. Lovely service and decent food. Great for a romantic dinner
- M-eating – This amazing restaurant is right in the heart of Mykonos Town. Save it for a special night out when you want to have a splurge. The food, service, decor and drinks are all amazing!
- If you’re after a quick and easy breakfast or lunch, head to one of the many bakeries around Mykonos for fresh salad rolls & delicious Greek delicacies
- Fos Suites
- Andronikos Hotel
- Paradise Beach – For budget backpackers and party goers only (I mean really budget, I stayed in a wooden cubby house and used the communal bathroom block, it was errr… an experience)
Everywhere for frappes! My two favourite were:
- Little Venice – Have a wander around the little cafes on the water and relax in a seat with a safe distance to the crashing waves, or be prepared to get pretty soaked!
- Ornos Beach – Pull up a luxurious couch at Pasaji or a seaside chair at Apaggio and enjoy stunning beach views with your morning Frappe
- Visit Little Venice and see the famous windmills
- Find Paros the Pelican
- Get a boat to Delos to see the ancient ruins
- Cine Manto is a really cute outdoor cinema in the Old Town
If you only do one thing in Mykonos, you should…
- Hire a scooter or quad bike and go beach hopping across the island!
- Kalafatis Beach
- Agios Ioannis Beach
- Psarou Beach
- Agia Anna Beach
- Lia Beach
- Kapari – This was my favourite discovery of my most recent trip. A gorgeous. tiny secret beach that requires a walk down some big rocks. Worth it for the peace and quiet, just be careful of high tide.
WHEN TO VISIT
- July – August is the peak tourist time in Mykonos and it’s also the hottest time of the year, so if possible then you should avoid this time. September – October are both great months and a little cheaper. May – June are also nice to visit but the sea isn’t quite as warm just yet.
Have you ever been to Mykonos? Do you have any favourite must-sees or recommendations?